Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Response

 

The Conduit

My good friend, Jeff, wrote an amazing poem that speaks to me more than anything else he has written lately. It probably had to do with the fact that he and I had been talking about God using us to do his will and feeling the presence of God.

Here is his poem:

What does the wire know
of the lamp’s illumination?
Electricity flows through him
undetected.


And what does the pipeline know
of a refreshing glass of water?
It flows through him
unperturbed.



The Response

I am not by any stretch of the imagination one who considers himself to be a poet. However, I was unsettled at the idea of not realizing God was at work. Am I always going to know when God is at work? Am I always going to feel him moving? Then I realized that this, too, is a part of doubt that leads to faith. Here is my response:

How would the light shine without the wire?

How would the water flow without the pipeline?

Even in this they perform a task
Although they are unaware of the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment